Tips for saving water and energy at home

According to statistics, a Frenchman spends an average of 8.5% of his annual budget on energy bills, which represents almost 2,900 euros per household per year. The French can achieve considerable savings by improving the management of water and electricity in their homes. There are currently various tips that can lower your energy consumption.

According to statistics, a Frenchman spends an average of 8.5% of his annual budget on energy bills, which represents almost 2,900 euros per household per year. The French can achieve considerable savings by improving the management of water and electricity in their homes. There are currently various tips that can lower your energy consumption.

The main tips for saving water

A Frenchman consumes an average of 143 litres of water per day. Nearly 93% of this water is used for housekeeping, dishes, body hygiene and sanitation. The remaining 7% represents the water used for drinking and preparing meals. To help you save water, we recommend that you:

Detecting leaks

A leaky tap rejects on average 5 liters/hour, or nearly 120 litres/day. The most effective method of identifying leaks is to read the numbers on the meter before going to bed. If these are not the same when you wake up when no one has used water overnight, this shows the presence of a plumbing leak.

Use economical knobs

The installation of an economical showerhead at the taps and the hand shower will allow you to reduce the water flow by up to 30 to 50% without the pressure decreasing.

Take a shower rather than a bath

To better conserve water, it is preferable to favour showers rather than baths. The shower is more economical, it requires on average between 20 and 60 litres of water against 100 to 200 litres to fill a bathtub intended for a bath.

The main tips for saving electricity

It is possible to save electricity by adopting some basic everyday reflexes. Some tips are free of charge but can save you a lot of money.

Daily actions to save electricity

The heating system is one of the most energy-consuming devices. By reducing heating by 1%, you will reduce your energy consumption by 7%. The temperature of the water heater should be around 55 to 60 ° C.

Also, remember to defrost your refrigerator regularly to avoid overconsumption. If you use a dishwasher, especially favour the “eco” program. This feature requires less energy than the intensive cycle.

Standby devices also consume a lot of electricity. You must, therefore, disconnect the machines which are not running. We also recommend that you light up with LED lamps, as they are less energy-consuming.

Equipment that saves electricity

Installing a power strip saves up to 10% of electricity. With this accessory, you can instantly turn off all standby devices connected to it.

We also recommend that you opt for programmable mechanical sockets. With these, you can automate the operating period of certain electrical equipment. By installing a wattmeter at the outlets, you can assess the amount of energy consumed by your power tools.

admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.