In our daily life, we meet a lot of people. We will communicate with them or discuss a lot of things. We need communication skills to communicate in any phase or situation of life. We can call these skills interpersonal communication skills. These skills will help us in sharing our feelings, ideas, and thoughts with others. These skills will help us communicate when we meet them in person or talk to them on the phone. There are several aspects of interpersonal communication skills. Those aspects include body language, voice tone, and facial expressions. Listening, gesture, and expressions are also some of the most important skills.
These skills will help you in conveying your message in a better way. These skills will also help you in increasing the value of your message. These skills will also help you in improving your communication style. You will be able to communicate in a better way with the help of these skills. There are four major types of interpersonal communication skills. These include verbal, nonverbal, written, and listening aspects. This article aims to discuss these types in detail. Apart from this, it will discuss the pros and cons of each type. Let’s discuss in detail;
This is a type of interpersonal communication skill that will use spoken words. When you’re meeting with people or talking to them on the phone, it is verbal communication. This communication skill depends upon the selection of words. Apart from this, it will depend upon how you hear them. It will relate to how you interpret the meaning of those words. You should share your ideas and thoughts after choosing the words. There are several other aspects that you should consider. Your facial expression, voice tone, and body language will play an important role here. All these things will help you communicate in the best way possible.
Pros and Cons of Verbal Communication:
There are several pros and cons of verbal communication. Let’s discuss the pros first;
- One of the major advantages of verbal communication is that it saves time. You can convey your message in a few minutes through it.
- It will help you in ensuring your privacy. Most of the time, you can be sensitive about the information you are sharing. You can also share anything through verbal communication.
- You need to be careful when you’re selecting words for verbal communication. A person can misperceive your words or message.
- You may end up adding unnecessary information, or thoughts in verbal communication. This will make the conversation lengthy.
This was a short overview of verbal communication with its pros and cons.
According to a dissertation writing service, it is a type of interpersonal communication skill that requires actions for communication. In this type, gestures and facial expressions will play an important role. Apart from this, body language also plays a great part. According to research, 55% of people communicate through nonverbal communication. It is as important as verbal communication.
Pros and Cons of Nonverbal Communication:
There are several pros and cons of nonverbal communication. Let’s discuss the pros first;
- It will help you in interpreting the information in a better way. It will be more effective if you’re using audio-video techniques in your message.
- It will help you in communicating with disabled people.
- Since this interpersonal communication type does not use words, a person may get confused.
- You can miss important information if you’re not paying attention.
So this was a short overview of nonverbal communication with the pros and cons.
Written communication will include written words and symbols in the communication. It is a type of communication that is taking place in offices. There are several mediums of written communication. Those mediums include reports, email, and letters. If you’re working for an organization, you might have to communicate in writing most of the time.
Pros and Cons of Written Communication:
There are several pros and cons of written communication. Let’s discuss the pros first;
- When you’re using written communication, it will always remain proof.
- It will help you in saving resources. Apart from this, it will help you in saving time, and money that you might’ve spent meeting a person.
- One of the major cons of written communication is that it consumes time. You might have to spend a lot of time writing a message.
- You might end up compromising your privacy and important information. The wrong person might get his hand on sensitive information. And then, he can cause a big problem.
Listening is one of the most important types of interpersonal communication skills. Most of the time, people will get confused between hearing and listening. These are two different terms. Hearing is a type of action where a person takes part involuntary. But listening is a type of action where people voluntarily take part. It is an intentional way that will fulfill the purpose of any conversation. Apart from this, you will need other skills like concentration as well.
Pros and Cons of Listening Communication:
There are several pros and cons of listening communication. Let’s discuss the pros first;
- Listening will help you in understanding a message in the best way possible.
- It will help you in developing better relationships, as well as understanding with others.
- In listening communication, you might get distracted or lose interest.
- You may get offended if a person is not using appropriate words to convey his message.
In our daily life, we meet a lot of people and interact with them. When we’re interacting with them, we use our interpersonal communication skills. These are the skills that help us in understanding things and in conveying our message. This article discussed the importance of interpersonal communication skills. Apart from this, it also discussed the types of these skills. It also discussed the pros and cons of each type to make things understandable. These are the skills that help us in communication and increase the value of our message.